Demolition of 14 buildings, site remediation and removal of 25,000m3 of soil and rock.
The Carlton United Brewery Site was a unique project in that it was a 4.5 hectare site within the Brisbane CBD and adjacent to both Emergency Services (Fire Brigade Area Headquarters) and Carlton United Brewery’s Queensland Head Office.
The project involved:
- Demolition of 14 buildings ranging from 2-storey structures to a structural concrete tank the equivalent of a 10 storey building located adjacent to a main thoroughfare
- The retention of a 5-storey facade on Brunswick Street
- Remediation and validation back to ‘former status’ of the entire site (4.5ha)
The remediation was an onerous task as it was undertaken on a guaranteed maximum quotation and involved:
- Collating prior reports on site contamination
- Excavating, testing and disposing of 5,300m3 of low level contaminated fill and 970m3 of high level contaminated soil
- Validating the site to ‘former status’ as defined by the Queensland Department of Environment and Heritage to enable residential zoning
Bulk Excavation included:
- Removal of 25,000m3 of soil and rock;The construction of plateaux and grades for future building works
- Construction of sprayed concrete retaining walls and installation of rock anchors on a 2 – 6 metre vertical face toensure the continued integrity of both a roadway and 6-storey adjoining buildings